Saturday 3 March 2012

The Last Day

Looking at all the images today I realised how much talent there was at the beginner end of photography.

Over the last three Saturdays I have met some great photographers.  And I think the most impressive part of it is that none of them are professionals.  We are all at the same point of our careers, not knowing exactly what we're supposed to be doing, but know that the more we shoot the better we'll get.  The proof is in the photos that everyone brought to class today.  Everyone has taken something from these past few weeks and used it to make their images better.  From big things like learning how to use the metering system and the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and F-Stop.  To simple things, like making a list of the shots you want to capture before you leave the house so that you can tell a story with your images.

For me I've really enjoyed just having a goal every week.  The fact that I had to create my own goal and show my friends in class what I came up with was enough to make me try even harder to make my work better. 

If I had have walked away from the workshops with nothing other than the experience of shooting things that I wasn't used to, I would have been happy.  But the fact is that I got to work with some great people and I'm now looking at everything as if I'm looking through the viewfinder.  There's opportunity everywhere to take brilliant photographs.  From outside your own house, to people jogging in Loughshore Park, or even delinquent youths in Derry.  Really it's whatever you want to shoot.

Philosophy aside I really enjoyed the course and I can definitely see myself taking something else like Photoshop or Lightroom, or even a studio photography workshop.  I'm now going to try to get involved in as much as I can, and along the way, maybe get my foot in the door somewhere.

Here's to the next steps...

Ps.  I only started this blog for my own reflection but I did pick up the courage to give it out to the some of my friends in the course.  I like the idea of people reading this and relating to it, or laughing at it or even just looking at the photos.  So for those of you reading who were in the course, thank you for looking at my page, and thank you for sharing your images in class, and hopefully today won't be the last time we all see each other!  Also, if you do decide to follow the blog and pass it on to your like-minded friends....that wouldn't be too bad either. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Josh, Just stopped by to read your blog and keep up with your work. It was a pleasure to meet you and get to know you a bit on the course, you took some great photos. Keep up the good work and I hope to see you soon. Are you signed up for this weekend's photoshop workshop at Belfast Exposed by any chance? Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks having a look in Sarah. This is my weekend working so it's another course that I have to miss out on unfortunatly. Are you booked in to do it? I've just been shooting out on the street whenever I have time and I now make a point of taking the camera everywhere with me, just so I don't miss anything.

      Delete