Wednesday 21 March 2012

Photos of the St Patricks Day Parade in Belfast




I got a bit of time to look through the images I took on St. Patricks Day and again, out of about 250 shots I have around ten good ones that I don't mind putting up here.

I started out at the corner of Chichester and Victoria (very Americanised reference to the corner of Victoria Square), taking pictures of the parade coming down the street.  I guess this is where I made my first error as a 'press photographer'.  I was standing on the footpath at the front of the crowd and soon as the police passed everyone took about 5 steps forward and all of a sudden the viewfinder was filled with the back of some guys head.  I was considering just walking out into the middle of the road to get a few shots as everything came closer, but the photographers already there were all sporting 2 high end DSLRs with expensive lenses, so I decided that I wasn't going to get anything different than them.  I worked my way around the hoards of onlookers and just captured some people waiting around and minding their own business.

As the parade passed there were some great characters.  Kids dressed up as old shipyard workers, people on stilts representing something to do with 2012 and not particularly St Patricks Day.  There was also a group of cheerleaders, one of who I managed to capture mid-air after she had been launched by part of her squad at the start of her routine.  Lucky shot as the moment before she was thrown into the air I had the camera down by my side, but I still got something acceptable I think.

Anyway, here they are.  None of them really need any explanation, they're just a wee look at the people of the day.





 
 






In preparation for my shoot in Auntie Annies on the 29th, I took some pictures in RBG over in Bedford Street with the 18-55 kit lens and even at 1600 ISO there was a good bit of blur and the fastest shutter speed I could really shoot with was about 1/30.  Now I know it's not the kit that makes the photographer (the phrase 'all the gear and no idea' comes to mind), but I honestly think I'm going to have to invest in a faster lens for this one.  I read a couple of reviews and I think I'm going to pick up a Canon 50mm 1.8 tomorrow.  Under £90 and it will give me a few more stops of light to work with in the bar so I can push the shutter speed up a bit and get the shots I want.

If I get it I'll be taking a few test shots before the gig and work out how to use it properly.

Just as a side note, I finished typing the blog there, and it started to sound a bit familiar so I looked at my previous post and I noticed that I basically repeated myself word for word about the parade.  To be honest I really couldn't be bothered deleting it so there it will stay!  I suppose I'm improving my blogging and my photography. 

So that's it for now, I've got some Friday Night Lights to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment