Thursday 29 November 2012

Moving Forward


Another massive gap in my blog.  As much as I try to update this thing I find myself thinking that unless I've got something worthwile to write about, it's better to just leave the filler out.

Anyway, over the last months I've been shooting away at everything I could think of.  Mostly it's been around the city and some stuff back in Carrick, but in the past I've written about new lenses and projects that I have been self prescribing so this is actually quite a big one.

Knowing that I want to take photography seriously, and that there is a certain level of credibility earned by the equipment you use on any given shoot, I decided to take the necessary steps to bring myself closer (albeit maybe not technically) to the professional level.  Last week I made the decision to invest in a new camera.  The one I've had my eye on since I watched a DigitalRev video about it back in January of this year, the Canon 5d Mk2.  Now I know that it's true that it's not the camera that makes the photographer, and if you don't have an eye for composition you could have all the gear in the world and it wouldn't make a difference, but this thing is absolutely amazing.  I had been shooting in the past with the EOS 450D, and while it was grand outside, when I ventured indoors even with the 50mm 1.8 it left me wanting.  Wanting more light, wanting a flash, wanting an ISO higher than 1600 that didn't produce so much grain you could feed a barn full of chickens with it!

I went to a friends wedding reception and took the 5D along and most of the night, because I didn't have a flash, I was shooting at ISO 5000 and after importing the images to Lightroom and adjusting them ever-so-slightly, the quality and noise was better than the 450D.  It's like night and day.

Today I headed over to Groomsport for a few hours to get some shots of the harbour and landscapes, and here are some of the images I came away with.










I know that I don't have any scope for comparison because this is the first full frame sensor I've used, but the difference between the two cameras is enormous.  I played about witht he white balance in Lightroom to see how the colours looked in the sky for the two images of the fields and just kept with the editing process I normally use with the other pictures in the blog.

Now I'm looking forward to a possible shoot up in the Folk and Transport Museum in the next couple of weeks.  Dates have yet to be set, and we're still waiting for confirmation, but it's another step towards building the portfolio.

That's all for now, but I'll be keeping myself focused and updating the blog more regularly now.  Even if it's only a couple of pictures, or some 'filler' if I need to!


No comments:

Post a Comment