Wednesday 29 February 2012

The Pursuit of Happiness

To find something that you love to do in life, and then do it as your job...then you are really happy.

I had a couple of days at the start of the week there where the lack of motivation was so acute that I almost literally couldn't sit at my desk and work.  It's a strange feeling that I've never had before, but I was actually telling myself that there were only another few hours to go before I could clock off and go home.

The strange thing is that the longest job I've had was working for a tyre depot for 2 years, then I sacked that for a job in France when I was 22.  So I don't have that much experience of the same thing day in, day out.  I started my current job back in June last year, but already I'm feeling that all to familiar pressure of really not doing what I want to do.

Besides that, it's Wednesday already, and I have yet to go out and take some pictures for this weeks project for Belfast Exposed.  The assignment is to photograph six strangers in posed portrait conditions.  I was secretly happy about this because I know it will force me to get closer to my subjects and actually engage with them which will, in turn, build my confidence.  I convinced myself that this was good by likening it to the scene in Leon, where Jean Reno was telling a very young Natalie Portman that in the beginning the assassin would start with a sniper rifle and eventually get closer to their target until they had mastered the battle knife.  In my head the knife is the 35mm 1.8 while I'm running about the with sniper 70-300 Tamron.  Anyway, that's what gets me through.

Back to my excuses and it didn't help that our gas boiler packed it in a bit at the start of the week and I had things to do on Tuesday morning, but a mix of preoccupied mornings and late finishes at work has put me well behind schedule. 

I was due to call up to Clennaghans bar to meet my uncle and take some photos tonight, but a mix of morning duties and lack of ISO meant that I took a rain check.  Still, I'll get a run up to see them play maybe Saturday week and get some pictures.

Short post I know, but I've got things to do and some photos to edit.  On a bit of a random note, I submitted my details to an assisting website in the UK aimed at photographers looking for assistants, in the hope that someone will appreciate my honesty and give me the break that everyone keeps on talking about in their blogs/magazines/books.

We can all live in hope!

Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment